- 3/4c sugar + 1/2c water (for caramel on molds)
- 4ea whole eggs
- 3ea egg yolk
- 3/4c sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3c whole milk
- 1/2ea vanilla bean or 3/4 tsp nice quality vanilla extract
1. Cook the first set of sugar and water until approximately 325 degrees or a light caramel. Remove from heat and swirl 20 seconds (be careful cooked sugar is extremely hot) and drizzle into custard molds (either individual or a 2-2.5 qt dish).
2. In a pot scald the milk, vanilla (if using bean), and half the sugar. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, other half sugar, and salt and whisk.
3. Temper the hot milk into the egg mixture; whisking the whole time. If using vanilla pod strain mixture. Pour egg mixture into dishes that have hardened caramel.
4. Bake custard in a water bath @ 280 degrees for approximately 1-1.5 hours uncovered in the oven. When there is a jiggle that looks “gelled” but not runny it’s ready. Remove from oven and cool in bath 5 minutes. Carefully remove from the water bath and chill in the custard mold. To serve score the cooled custard around the edge of the dish and put an inverted plate over it. Carefully turn it all over and the caramel sauce and custard will pop out. Enjoy with berries or alone.